Ivan Rakitić is being forced out of Barcelona by the management

Image result for ivan rakitic
With the signing of Frenkie de Jong, Barcelona are said to have overpopulated the midfield. The Dutch midfielder himself has also stated that the club has promised him a lot of playing time, even if it requires certain changes in the squad.
Ivan Rakitić is the player who is expected to be on the receiving end of this change. The eternally underrated workhorse’s Barça career will culminate in a move away from the Camp Nou, forced by the club management to accommodate a high-profile signing.
Recently, Rakitić said, “I want to be here and, if I can renew, be here for many more years. I am very happy here, everyone knows that, above all the president. I do not have to say anything else.

People who know me know that I just want to play. I will face all challenges calmly and with much desire. I am 30 years old and in the best moment of my career. I want to enjoy my football and being at Barça.”

This clearly shows that any effort on the part of the club to offload Rakitić will be an enforcement of a decision on the player. Apart from Leo Messi, the Croatian playmaker has been Barça’s best player in Ernesto Valverde’s reign as head coach.
He wanted to leave in the summer when Valverde was appointed. But realising his ability and his suitability to Barça’s style of play, the Basque coach convinced Rakitić to reject offers from the likes of Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain and stay at the club.
If the club respects Rakitić, he should be allowed to determine his future. Although a transfer in the upcoming transfer window can allow Barça to recoup some of his market value, the veteran midfielder has a lot to offer to the club, even at the age of 30.
His playing time will be cut down by the arrival of Frenkie de Jong. But Rakitić should be allowed to take a call on whether he wants to leave or accept a lesser role in the first-team. This would be uphold Barça’s motto of ‘Mes que un club’.

Comments